From chatelaine.com – Baked Goat Cheese and Apple Salad
Preparation time 20 minutes | Baking time 10 minutes | Makes 3 Servings
- 2 slices bread, cubed
- 3 tbsp red-wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano leaves
- 1 egg
- 1 cup sliced almonds, coarsely chopped
- 300 g pkg goat cheese, cut into 9 rounds
- 142 g pkg mixed greens
- 540 ml can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 unpeeled apple, julienned
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 tsp honey
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 375F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil. Lightly spray with oil. Toss bread with 1 tbsp vinegar and oregano. Arrange on one side of foil. Beat egg in a shallow dish. Place almonds in another shallow dish. Dip cheese rounds in egg, then in almonds, until coated. Place cheese rounds on the other side of foil. Bake in centre of oven until bread cubes are toasted and cheese is warm, 7 to 9 min.
- Toss greens with chickpeas and apple in a large bowl. Whisk remaining vinegar with Dijon, honey, oil and salt, and season with fresh pepper. Drizzle over salad mixture and stir to coat, then distribute among 3 plates. Scatter with croutons and lay 3 warm cheese rounds on each plate. Serve immediately.
Kitchen Tip: In a pinch, brush cheese rounds with olive oil and coat with good-quality bread crumbs mixed with dried herbs.