From Clean Eating Magazine: www.cleaneatingmag.com
- 2 bunches fresh asparagus (about 1 lb each)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 1/2 cups cooked cannellini beans or 2 15-oz BPA-free cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed well
- 2 tbsp fresh orange juice
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp champagne vinegar
- 1/2 cup chopped unsalted walnuts (2 oz), lightly toasted
- 1/2 cup shaved pecorino romano or parmesan cheese (2 oz)
- 1/4 cup slivered basil
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Hold each spear of asparagus by its thick stem and lay it down on a cutting board. Using a vegetable peeler, shave asparagus into long ribbons. Place ribbons in a large bowl and discard remaining stems. (You should be left with about 1 lb shaved asparagus.) Drizzle oil over asparagus and toss to coat.
- Add onion, beans, orange and lemon juices, and vinegar. Toss to combine.
- Fold in walnuts, cheese and basil. Season with salt and pepper. This salad can be served immediately or prepared in advance; chill, covered, for 4 to 6 hours in refrigerator.